-
BCT Toronto
Distance: 2.2 Mi298 Bridgeland Ave
M6A1Z4 North York -
Datatized
Distance: 2.6 Mi36 Eglinton Ave West Suite 307
M4R 1A1 Toronto -
Dunedain Multimedia Inc.
Distance: 4.0 Mi110 Spadina Avenue
M5V 2K4 Toronto -
Edith's Fashions
Distance: 4.8 Mi245 Wilmington Ave
M3H 5K1 North York -
Aloris Mercantile Corp.
Distance: 4.9 Mi88 Sheppard Ave W
M2N 1M5 North York
Website Links
Description
St. Hilda's has been a proud member of the Toronto Fairbank community for 120 years. The Fairbank neighbourhood around Dufferin and Eglinton was originally the acreage of an early settler and millwright, Matthew Parsons. The Parsons property was known as Fairbank, a name which soon identified the surrounding community. Back then, the area surrounding the present day corner of Dufferin and Eglinton was pleasantly pastoral and so graced with a series of impressive hills and valleys that it prompted some early enthusiasts to dub the area the "Highlands of Toronto'. Historians note that Eglinton Avenue was named after Hugh Montgomerie, 12th Earl of Eglinton, by veterans of the War of 1812 who had settled in the area. Dufferin Street was named after Canada's Governor General from 1872-1878, the 1st Marquess of Dufferin and Ava, Frederick Temple Hamilton Blackwood. In 1874, a post office was opened on the northwest corner of Dufferin Street and subsequently, along with the rest of Toronto, this rural area experienced a rapid increase in urbanization. Prosperity ensued and in addition to homes, farms, shops and the post office, Fairbank Village became the site of several hotels including one operated by Francis McFarlane (who was also the postmaster). A Trinity College divinity student was assigned to Fairbank Village in 1890 to determine what could be done to provide permanent Anglican Church services in the area. By July of that year, the Fairbank Mission began its first services in the ballroom of McFarlane's Hotel located on Dufferin Street. The parish grew quickly and a site was purchased at the intersection of Dufferin Street and Vaughan Road in 1893 to build a permanent home for St. Hilda's Anglican Church. Today, the historic Fairbank neighbourhood now includes the area south of Eglinton, but in fact, that whole area did not see significant development until well into the 1920s, "30s and "40s when the streets became lined with small family homes and businesses. In the years following the Second World War, the Fairbank neighbourhood was full of young families and St. Hilda's required a larger church building. A distinctive structure was subsequently constructed and opened in 1954. By the early 1970's, the St. Hilda's parish recognized the growing need for affordable housing for seniors. A proposal was placed before the congregation, which approved the demolition of the original church and the construction of St. Hilda's Towers and a new church building. The first residential tower to be constructed was Dufferin Tower with 134 self-contained units followed with a second tower designated as the Vaughan Tower with 210 units. Our third residence was designed for independent living for seniors and opened in September 1996. Today, St. Hilda's Retirement Residence continues to offer our senior community a comfortable and affordable lifestyle in our non-profit, full service residence. We're experienced and proud to have provided quality, customized care for over 30 years!