Website Links
Description
Halifax Shopping Centre was constructed on the former site of the St. Joseph's Boys Home, adjacent to the former Army barracks #6 and the former Halifax Airport off Chebucto Road, in 1960. At the time, Halifax Shopping Centre was the largest enclosed shopping centre in Eastern Canada, a much needed shopping opportunity for the then metro population of 193,353. At the time, the electric trolly service to the west end provided much of the traffic flow during the early years. Anchored by Sobeys and Eatons, the centre attracted such retailers as Western Furniture, Reitman's, D'Allairds, Birks, Kresges, Woods, The Candy Corner, McKnight's Hardware, Gorden B. Isnor, Black Night Lounge, The Nova Scotia Liquor Commission, The Royal Bank and Goldber's Men's Wear. Parking was provided above the centre on what is now the upper retail level. Combined with the Bayer's Road Shopping Centre and the Original Sears built in 1920, Halifax Shopping Centre was part of the shopping hub of Metro. Halifax Shopping Centre has seen several additions and expansions since 1960 and still remains one of the premier shopping destinations in Nova Scotia. 1989 saw the largest expansion of Halifax Shopping Centre with the addition of 75,000 square feet of retail space, three parking decks and a food court. The years between have seen many changes to the retail face of Halifax Shopping Centre. Today, Halifax Shopping Centre continues to reinvent itself with the recent addition of 400,000 square feet of...