Cjls

Cjls

  • 328 Main St Ste 201
  • Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
  • B5A 1E4

Website Links

Description

One of the first radio stations to be established in the Maritimes, CJLS began broadcasting in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia April 1, 1934 as the Gateway Broadcasting Company under ownership of Laurie L. Smith. The station operated commercially from studios and a 100 watt transmitter located on the top floor of the old Grand Hotel. In 1940 it moved to the Radio Building at 222 Main Street, increasing power to 250 watts and locating a 100 foot tower and transmitter at a site in Brooklyn, Yarmouth County. CJLS became affiliated with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in 1938. Laurie Smith died in 1950. Control was effectively taken over by Laurie's wife, Jennie and two sons, Donald and Malcom, who operated CJLS until 1968. Yarmouth businessman, Leland G. Trask, acquired the assets of the Gateway Broadcasting Company from the Smith family and was granted the broadcasting license for CJLS in November of 1968. Gateway Broadcasting Company was changed to a new corporate name, Radio CJLS Limited. The studios remained at 222 Main Street and a new 5,000 watt transmitter was located at Overton, Yarmouth County with a three tower array. The CBC established its own repeater in Yarmouth in 1982 and no longer required CJLS facilities allowing for disaffiliation in December of 1983. CJLS extended its signal in 1980 to the counties of Shelburne and Digby via FM stereo repeater transmitters... 96.3 FM at Barrington Passage (5,500 watts), and 93.5 FM at New Tusket (3,000 watts)...

Products & services