-
Land Art Design Landscape Architects
Distance: 0.9 Mi77 Berkeley St
M5A 2W5 Toronto -
Dutton Brock LLP
Distance: 1.2 MiDutton Brock MacIntyre 1700-438 University Ave
M5G 2L9 Toronto -
Myjellybean Inc.
Distance: 1.3 MiPO Box 65171 RPO Chester
M4K 3Z2 Toronto -
Shekter Dychtenberg LLP
Distance: 1.4 Mi390 Bay St
M5H 1W2 Toronto -
Melrose Paving Co Ltd
Distance: 2.3 Mi10 Audley Ave
M4M1P6 Toronto
Website Links
Description
The History Campbell House is the oldest remaining house from the original site of the Town of York. Built in 1822 by Judge William Campbell and his wife Hannah, the home was designed for entertaining and comfort, and constructed at a time when the Campbells were socially and economically established and their children had grown to adulthood. The house is one of the few surviving examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto. The Grange is another excellent example, although it is slightly older than Campbell House. Campbell House is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture. This style was Italian in origin, and based upon elements of classical Greek and Roman architecture, which emphasized symmetry of features (windows, fireplaces, doors etc.) and grandiose proportions to exhibit wealth. The Move Campbell House was originally located on a plot of land 1 S kilometres to the southeast of its' present location at the intersection of what is now Adelaide St. and Frederick St. (where the George Brown School of Hospitality is located today). After Sir William's death in 1834, the house was willed to his wife, Lady Hannah, for her use. After her death in 1844 the property and contents of the house were auctioned off and the proceeds were distributed amongst their heirs. For most of the 19th century the house was maintained as a private residence. After the turn of the 20th century the building was used by several businesses as office space and as a factory, including a horseshoe nail company and an elevator company, and the house fell into disrepair. The last owners of the property (Coutts-Hallmark Greeting Cards) wanted to demolish the house to extend their parking lot. At this time the house was offered to anyone who could remove it from the property. A professional association of Trial Lawyers known as the Advocates' Society intervened to save the house, move the building and restore it to its present appearance. The house was moved to its present location at the corner of Queen and University on Friday, March 31st.